10 Tips for Spring Home Maintenance
It may still be winter, but spring is approaching quickly. Those nicer days in between the cold ones offer a chance to inspect for winter damage and prepare for spring.
Here are some tips for staying ahead of home maintenance this season:
1. Check gutters and downspouts. Spring showers can overwhelm clogged gutters. If the gutters aren’t doing their job properly, water can collect in unwanted places, causing wood to rot and leaks to seep into your home. A little maintenance here can save you from expensive repairs later.
2. Check your roof for damage from winter storms. If no one in the family is ready for a trip up a ladder, you can zoom in using your smartphone camera and see what’s going on up there. Damage to your roof can also leave your home vulnerable to water damage during spring storms.
3. Pressure wash and reseal wood surfaces if it’s been a while. Resealing every year or two will help protect your deck or fencing.
4. Check driveway and walkways for cracks. Repairs are easier when they’re small.
5. Thwart troublesome insects. Check for standing water now to prevent mosquitoes from breeding, and keep an eye out for termites starting around March.
6. Clean or replace your HVAC filters. This should be done seasonally, not once a year. Dirty filters force the system to work harder, costing you more in utility bills.
7. Clean your dryer vent. The lint trap doesn’t catch everything. Lint that clogs the vent causes your dryer to run longer and also creates a fire hazard.
8. Check your window and door screens for holes.
9. Take a fresh look at paint and landscaping. Are any painted surfaces looking worse for the wear? Any bare patches on the lawn? (Fall is the best time for reseeding or overseeding your lawn, but early spring is second best.) Any areas where you want to plant something new? Now is a good time to start planning. Also, check your lawnmower and change the engine oil.
10. Replace the batteries in your smoke detectors.
Your Guidance Residential Account Executive is here to help with any questions. Looking to refinance or purchase? Rates have JUST dropped and are at an ALL time low! Have a friend or family member who is looking for a home? Call 1.866.Guidance, or get started today.
Have friends or family members that may be in need of down payment assistance, check out our down payment assistance for qualified buyers.